This is the recipe that made us fall in love with vegan cooking. In our omnivore days, we would make the most delicious, decadent Mac and Cheeses for our friends and family, and when we turned vegan, we created a version that's just as delicious but light enough to fuel us, rather than sink our stomachs to the floor. It's so delicious, we even made it for all 100 guests at our wedding!
We hope you enjoy, and please let us know what you think once you've made it. We'd also love to see your final product, so please tag us @plantifullfood on social media :-)
Makes 4 servings
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
- 450g non-dairy milk (We use organic soya milk)
- 250g macaroni (use gluten-free if you’re gluten-intolerant)
- 100g cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
- 70g sweet potatoes, steamed or boiled
- 70g potatoes, steamed or boiled
- 50g nutritional yeast
- 50g cheese alternative (we use Violife)
- 40g spinach (fresh or frozen)
- 18g English mustard
- 18g miso
- 12g lemon juice
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely minced
- 8g corn starch
- 8g oil (we use rapeseed)
- 4g (or ½ cube) vegetable bouillon
- 1 pinch salt, nutmeg, paprika, pepper, and chilli powder to taste
- Steam your sweet potato and potato easily in the microwave by poking a few holes on the surface and microwaving for 6-8 minutes until the inside is soft. Careful, it will be hot when it comes out!
- Peel sweet potato and potato skin
- In a mixer or blender, mix together the sweet potato, potato, cheese alternative, mustard, lemon juice, miso, mustard, vegetable bouillon, and garlic. If you don’t have a mixer, you can do this by hand as well, just make sure you chop up your cheese alternative as finely as possible (don’t worry about it if there are still a few chunks – these will melt as you cook it later!)
- In a pan, heat the oil on medium heat until hot
- Slowly stir in the corn flour, a little bit at a time until it’s blended into the oil
- Slowly pour in the non-dairy milk, a little bit at a time, until it’s blended into the oil / flour mixture. This should look like the consistency of melted ice cream
- Pour in your sweet potato and potato mixture, stirring regularly. After about 5 minutes, all of the vegan cheese should have melted, and the mixture should be a sauce.
- Add in the nutritional yeast and seasonings to taste for your preference.
- Take the sauce off of the heat and move to one side.
- Boil your pasta according to the instructions
- When your pasta is cooked and drained, mix in your sauce, spinach, and tomatoes
- Dish out and enjoy!